Preparation Time: 12 Hours
Cooking Time: 1 Hour
Makes: 4-6 Servings
Spice level: 0 chilies
2 cups Laxmi Chana Dal
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
juice of half of a lemon
3 tbsp tahini
2-3 tsp Laxmi Garlic Paste
½ cup water (or more if needed)
1 cup olive oil
1 tbsp Laxmi Cumin Powder
pita bread, crackers, etc.
1. Place the Laxmi Chana Dal in a large bowl or pot and fill with water so that the water is at least an inch or two above the peas.
2. Let them soak overnight in the fridge.
3. Drain the chick peas. Place them in a pot and fill with new water, the salt and baking soda. Bring the chick peas to a boil. Once the water is boiling, lower the heat so that it is a low boil. Cook the chick peas for an hour. They should soften so they can easily be smashed with your fingers.
4. Drain the chick peas and let them cool until they come to room temperature.
5. Using a food processor, pulse the chick peas, lemon, garlic paste and tahini. While the food processor is running, slowly pour in the water. Check the texture and thickness of the hummus. If needed, add more water to desired consistency.
6. When serving, scoop into a bowl and drizzle olive oil and sprinkle cumin on top of the hummus.
7. Serve with pita bread, crackers, or veggies.