Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Makes: 23 servings
Spice level: 1 chilies
1 cup Laxmi Urad Flour
3 tbsps Onion – finely chopped**
6 ~ 8 Curry leaves – finely chopped
1 pinch Baking Soda
1 ~ 2 chilies Green (optional)
Salt to taste
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, onion, curry leaves, green chilies (if using) and salt.
2. Add about ½~¾ cup of water to make a very thick paste like batter. Add water very slowly, so that you won’t end up with watery batter. Cover the bowl and set aside for 2~3 hours.
3. Just before making the vadas, add the baking soda and mix well. Heat oil for deep frying. Take lemon size ball of the batter and place it on a damp plastic Ziploc bag or your palm. Flatten it slightly and poke a hole right in the middle (as in a donut or bagel).
4. Gently slide the vada into the hot oil and fry on medium flame until golden. Flip carefully and fry on the second size until golden.
5. Fry 3~4 vadas at a time depending on the size of your pan. Repeat with rest of the batter.
6. Remove using a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate and serve hot with chutney.