Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Makes: 2-3 Servings
Spice level: 3 chilies
¾ cup Laxmi Masoor Dal
2 cups water for pressure cooking the dal
½ or 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required
1 medium sized onion
1 medium sized tomato
2 to 3 tsp Laxmi Ginger Garlic Paste
1 green chili,
1 to 2 Laxmi Whole Red Chilies
1 teaspoon Laxmi Cumin Seeds
¼ or ½ teaspoon Laxmi Red Chili Powder
1 pinch asafoetida
¼ or ½ teaspoon Laxmi Garam Masala Powder
½ teaspoon Laxmi Turmeric Powder
1.5 to 2 cups water or as required
2 tablespoon Laxmi Ghee
salt as required
1. Clean and soak the split masoor. Pressure cook the masoor dal with 2 cups water, till they become soft and mushy. The dal also can be cooked in a pot. Just soak the dal for 3040 minutes, so that they cook faster if cooking in a pot. Adjust the quantity of water as required. When the dal is cooked, beat with a wooden spoon or wired whisk lightly. Keep the cooked dal aside.
2. In another pan or pot, heat ghee. Fry the cumin seeds till browned. Then add onions and fry till they are light browned. Add ginger garlic paste. Stir and fry for 1015 seconds. Add green chilies and red chilies. stir.
3. Add all the dry spice powders one by one including asafoetida and stir. Add the tomatoes and fry till the oil separates and the tomatoes become soft.
4. Add the cooked dal. pour 1.5 to 2 cups water. you can adjust the quantity of water as required. Add salt and stir. simmer the masoor dal for 67 minutes more on a low or medium flame till you get the desired consistency. This dal is neither thick nor thin and has a medium consistency.
5. Towards the end add lemon juice and stir the masoor dal.
6. Serve masoor dal hot with steamed basmati rice or roti or chappati.