Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
Makes: 2-3 Servings
Spice level: 1 chilies
3 cups Laxmi Masoor Dal
1/2 cup Laxmi Ghee
3 medium red onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
5 tsp Laxmi Garlic Ginger Paste
3 tablespoons berbere, plus more for sprinkling
2 teaspoons nigella seeds, finely ground
1 teaspoon Laxmi Cardamom Powder
Freshly ground pepper
1. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the ghee.
2. Add the onions and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they are softened and just starting to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic ginger paste, berbere, nigella seeds, cardamom powder and a generous pinch each of salt and black pepper and cook until fragrant and deeply colored, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the red lentils with 8 cups of water to the casserole and bring to a boil.
4. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the lentils have cooked down and thickened, 25 minutes.
5. Season the lentils with salt and pepper.
6. Ladle the lentils into bowls, sprinkle with berbere and serve.