Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
Spice level: 3 chilies
1/2 cup Laxmi Urad Dal, wash and soak in water for 1-2 hours
2, medium, finely chopped tomatoes
4tsp Laxmi Ginger Garlic Paste
3 slit Green chilis
1/2 tsp Laxmi Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Laxmi Red Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Laxmi Coriander powder
large pinch Laxmi Garam Masala Powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Laxmi Cumin seeds
2 tbsps Laxmi Ghee
1. In a pressure cooker, add the soaked and drained urad dal, 2 1/2 cups water, turmeric powder, half of the ginger garlic paste, one slit green chili and salt and pressure cook up to 2 whistles.
2. Alternately, you can add the urad dal in a pot and cook over stove top. Add at least 4-5 cups water and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce flame and slow cook till the dal turns soft yet hold shape. In a small pan, add ghee.
4. Once it turns hot, add cumin seeds and allow to splutter. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for a few seconds.
5. Add the green chilies and mix. Add red chili powder and mix.
6. Add chopped tomatoes and sauté for 6 min. Immediately add this to the cooked dal and mix.
7. Add garam masala powder and allow to simmer on low flame till the desired consistency is achieved. Adjust salt if required.
8. Turn off flame and remove to a serving bowl.
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with roti, pulka, paratha or rice.