Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 60 Minutes
Makes: 3-4 Servings
Spice level: 2 chilies
1 cup dry Laxmi Toor Dal
1 tablespoon Laxmi Ghee
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 tsp Laxmi Ginger Garlic Paste
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Laxmi Curry Powder
1 tablespoon Laxmi Cumin Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Laxmi Coriander Powder
1/2 teaspoon Laxmi Turmeric Powder
1/2 teaspoon Laxmi Red Chili Powder (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Laxmi Garam Masala (optional)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan melt ghee over medium heat. Add chopped onion and salt. Sauté until soft, about five minutes.
2. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add remaining spices and stir. Sauté for about 1 minute, cooking spices. If spices start to stick to pan, add some water – 1/4 cup should do.
3. Add peas and stir to coat with butter, onion, and spice mixture. Add broth, 1/2 cup water and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
4. Simmer for 40-50 minutes or until peas are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. (Check peas periodically – you may need to add more water during cooking if peas are absorbing the liquid too quickly).
5. Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving.
6. Serve with hot basmati or brown rice for a filling one-dish meal. Or, double the broth/water to make a curried pea soup.
7. To turn this into a spicy curry, add some finely chopped jalapeno, serrano, or chili pepper at the same time as the garlic.